net5501 Bios update procedure
Ryan L. Faircloth
2007-10-11 15:48:19 UTC
I am attempting to update one of these units that currently runs 1.31. Using Hypercom the transfer appears to work
download
Start sending file using XMODEM/CRC protocol.
CCCCCC
File downloaded succesfully, size 784 Blocks.

However the flashupdate command gives a generic error. Any suggestions?
flashupdate
Updating BIOS Flash
Error Erasing Flash.
Mike Tancsa
2007-10-11 15:59:36 UTC
Post by Ryan L. Faircloth
I am attempting to update one of these units that currently runs
1.31. Using Hypercom the transfer appears to work
Hypercom should work, but try and do it with cu and lsx just in case
there is some strange issue with hypercom. I have done a half dozen
with cu and lsx this past week and one just a few min ago. I have
done the updates at 9600 and 19200. What speed are you using ?

On FreeBSD
cu -s19200 -l /dev/cuad1
Post by Ryan L. Faircloth
download
Then ~C
lsx /tmp/b5501_132i.bin

Also is the image you are working with correct ?

[zoo]# md5 b5501_132i.bin
MD5 (b5501_132i.bin) = de069c09556a9feda7ada9acc6f45698
[zoo]#

---Mike
Marco A. Calamari
2007-10-11 17:45:12 UTC
Post by Mike Tancsa
Post by Ryan L. Faircloth
I am attempting to update one of these units that currently runs
1.31. Using Hypercom the transfer appears to work
Hypercom should work, but try and do it with cu and lsx just in case
there is some strange issue with hypercom. I have done a half dozen
with cu and lsx this past week and one just a few min ago. I have
done the updates at 9600 and 19200. What speed are you using ?
My flash update via minicom worked flawlessy the first
time I followed Matteo's (thanks!) suggestion to use
"download -" and not "download" as remote command.

HTH. Marco
Post by Mike Tancsa
On FreeBSD
cu -s19200 -l /dev/cuad1
--
+--------------- http://www.winstonsmith.info ---------------+
| il Progetto Winston Smith: scolleghiamo il Grande Fratello |
+ PGP RSA: ED84 3839 6C4D 3FFE 389F 209E 3128 5698 ----------+
ervin
2007-10-11 20:28:07 UTC
Over the last week or so many people had unnecessary problems with the
BIOS update .... all tips and tricks are in this document "Soekris
Setup: BIOS Update" -> http://www.ultradesic.com/?section=36 .... try
it :-)
Post by Marco A. Calamari
Post by Mike Tancsa
Post by Ryan L. Faircloth
I am attempting to update one of these units that currently runs
1.31. Using Hypercom the transfer appears to work
Hypercom should work, but try and do it with cu and lsx just in case
there is some strange issue with hypercom. I have done a half dozen
with cu and lsx this past week and one just a few min ago. I have
done the updates at 9600 and 19200. What speed are you using ?
My flash update via minicom worked flawlessy the first
time I followed Matteo's (thanks!) suggestion to use
"download -" and not "download" as remote command.
HTH. Marco
Post by Mike Tancsa
On FreeBSD
cu -s19200 -l /dev/cuad1
mvh/best regards ervin
Matteo Basso - Net Stop Snc
2007-10-12 07:24:04 UTC
Post by ervin
Over the last week or so many people had unnecessary problems with the
BIOS update .... all tips and tricks are in this document "Soekris
Setup: BIOS Update" -> http://www.ultradesic.com/?section=36 .... try
it :-)
or write a wiki at http://wiki.soekris.info/Updating_Bios your
experiences :)
Matteo
--
Matteo Basso
email: matteo [at] netstop.it / www.netstop.it / www.kraba.it
Fax. +39 0444 809885
Otfried Geffert
2007-10-12 09:33:07 UTC
Hi,

even after an BIOS update to 1.32i
my OpenBSD 4.0 tells me that DMA on IDE is still unsupported.

---> pciide0 at pci0 dev 20 function "AMD CS5536 IDE" rev 0x01: DMA
(unsupported) , channel 0 wired to compatibility, channel 1 .........
---> pciide0: channel 0 ignored (other hardware responding at addresses)

Can someone tell me why ?

Maybe it is the chipset that OpenBSD finds
and an old driver for it ??

Otfried

Stuart Henderson
2007-10-12 09:44:03 UTC
Support for CS5536 was added about a year ago, it's in OpenBSD 4.1.
René Luckow
2007-10-12 10:32:13 UTC
I've just added a macro script for tera term for mass updating soekris
boxes, hope this helps somebody, I've sure had a good use for it
lately, it was time well spend writing it :)
Post by ervin
Over the last week or so many people had unnecessary problems with the
BIOS update .... all tips and tricks are in this document "Soekris
Setup: BIOS Update" -> http://www.ultradesic.com/?section=36 .... try
it :-)
or write a wiki at http://wiki.soekris.info/Updating_Bios your
experiences :)